Once you have a learner permit, you must pass a DMV road test to get your driver license.
If you hold a learner permit, you must:
- Obey the learner permit restrictions on where and when you may practice driving
If you have a junior learner permit (Class DJ or MJ), you must:
You must have:
- A valid NYS learner permit
- An original 5-hour Pre-licensing course certificate (MV-278) or Driver Education Completion certificate (MV-285) to give to the license examiner when you take your road test
- If you are under 18, you must also bring to the road test a completed Certification of Supervised Driving (MV-262) signed by your parent or guardian
The application fee you paid when you obtained your learner permit includes two road tests.
If you do not pass either of your first two road tests, you must purchase two more road tests before you can schedule another one. The fee is $10.00 for two tests.
Ready to schedule? You must have:
- An original Pre-licensing course certificate (MV-278) or Driver Education Completion certificate (MV-285)
- The DMV ID Number from your learner permit
- Purchased additional road tests if you failed your first two
- The ZIP Code of the road test location where you want to take the road test
How to schedule a road test online:
- Gather the necessary documents
- Make sure you have at least one unused test
- Go to “Schedule Now”
- Enter the required information and click “log on”
- Keep the confirmation for your records or write down the information
Call us Monday-Friday 8:00AM-4:30PM (except holidays).
For General Assistance (DMV Call Centers): 1-518-486-9786.
Telecommunications Device for the Deaf (TDD): 711 or 1-800-662-1220 (have the relay operator dial 1-518-486-9786).
See a list of DMV phone numbers and office hours.
Department of Motor Vehicles 6 Empire State Plaza Albany, NY 12228