Once you have a learner permit, you must pass a DMV road test to get your driver license.
If you hold a learner permit, you must:
- Obey the learner permit restrictions on where and when you may practice driving
If you have a junior learner permit (Class DJ or MJ), you must:
- Wait at least six months from the date you received your learner permit to schedule your road test
- Have a minimum of 50 hours of supervised practice driving that includes at least 15 hours of driving after sunset
- You will need to bring a Certification of Supervised Driving (MV-262), completed by your parent or guardian, to your road test.
- Obey the rules for junior drivers
You must have:
- A valid NYS learner permit
- An original 5-hour Pre-licensing course certificate (MV-278) or Driver Education Completion certificate (MV-285) to give to the license examiner when you take your road test
- If you are under 18, you must also bring to the road test a completed Certification of Supervised Driving (MV-262) signed by your parent or guardian
For information about the 5 hour Pre-Licensing Course, document requirements and practice guidelines, see the DMV's information on preparing for your road test.
The application fee you paid when you obtained your learner permit includes two road tests.
If you do not pass either of your first two road tests, you must purchase two more road tests before you can schedule another one. The fee is $10.00 for two tests. You can pay for additional road test fees online or by phone at 518-402-2100.
Ready to schedule? You must have:
- An original Pre-licensing course certificate (MV-278) or Driver Education Completion certificate (MV-285)
- The DMV ID Number from your learner permit
- Purchased additional road tests if you failed your first two
- The ZIP Code of the road test location where you want to take the road test
How to schedule a road test online:
- Gather the necessary documents
- Make sure you have at least one unused test
- Go to “Schedule Now”
- Enter the required information and click “log on”
- Keep the confirmation for your records or write down the information
You can also schedule your road test by phone at 1-518-402-2100.
Call us Monday-Friday 8:00AM-4:30PM (except holidays).
For General Assistance (DMV Call Centers): 1-518-486-9786.
Telecommunications Device for the Deaf (TDD): 711 or 1-800-662-1220 (have the relay operator dial 1-518-486-9786).
See a list of DMV phone numbers and office hours.