Vehicles driven in New York must have a valid, unexpired registration. Your 'registration' is the sticker placed on your windshield and the paper registration certificate that you must keep in your vehicle. Renewing online is fast and easy.
Can I renew online?
You can renew the registration for most vehicles online, including boats, trailers and snowmobiles.
You cannot renew registrations online for
- Vehicles that weigh 55,000 lbs. or more
- For-hire vehicles (this includes taxis, livery vehicles, and buses)
- Semi-trailers with 6-year registrations
- Vehicles with an apportioned registration issued under the International Registration Plan (IRP)
- Vehicles with an ambulance, NYP (New York press), government or official registration
- Rental vehicles
- Vehicles that are exempt from the payment of registration fees
- Vehicles that require the registrant to provide proof of insurance, a tax certificate, or another document for each renewal
Do not renew online if you are eligible for a 'no fee' renewal.
You cannot renew a registration that is
- Expired for more than 1 year
- For a vehicle that has not been inspected in the past 12 months
Your mailing address on file with the DMV must be current. You cannot change it during the transaction. First change your address and then renew.
How do I know if my registration is expired?
It is printed on your registration documents, and it’s on the renewal notice we mail you.
If you are in the Armed Forces and are returning from active military duty, you may have more time to renew. Learn more.
What is the fee to renew?
The fee is on your renewal notice, and displayed on your computer screen when you renew online.
What you need to renew online:
- Your registration (plate number) and class (see a sample registration)
- The last name of the person on the registration
- A credit card or debit card
When you are finished, you can download and print a temporary registration that’s valid for 10 days after the day you renew.
Other ways to renew
- By mail
- Mail the bottom part of your registration renewal notice (MV-3 or OP-3) to the address listed on the notice. Include a personal check or money order payable to 'Commissioner of Motor Vehicles' for the fee.
- At the DMV office
- Bring your registration renewal notice (MV-3 or OP-3) and payment to a DMV office.
Call us Monday-Friday 8:00AM-4:30PM (except holidays).
For General Assistance (DMV Call Centers): 1-518-486-9786.
Telecommunications Device for the Deaf (TDD): 711 or 1-800-662-1220 (have the relay operator dial 1-518-486-9786).
See a list of DMV phone numbers and office hours.
Department of Motor Vehicles 6 Empire State Plaza Albany, NY 12228