Vehicles driven in New York must have a valid, unexpired registration. Renewing online is fast and easy.
Can I renew?
You can renew most vehicles online, including boats, trailers and snowmobiles. Some vehicles are not eligible.
Your address on file with the DMV must be up to date.
You can’t renew a registration that is
- Expired for more than 1 year
- Has not been inspected in the past 12 months
Don't renew online if you are eligible for a 'no fee' renewal.
You can’t renew registrations online for:
- vehicles that weigh 55,000 lbs. or more
- for-hire vehicles (this includes taxis, livery vehicles, and buses)
- semi-trailers with 6-year registrations
- vehicles with an apportioned registration issued under the International Registration Plan (IRP)
- vehicles with an ambulance, NYP (New York press), government or official registration
- rental vehicles
- vehicles that are exempt from the payment of registration fees
- vehicles that require the registrant to provide proof of insurance, a tax certificate, or another document for each renewal
How do I know if my registration is expired?
It’s printed on your registration documents, and it’s on the renewal notice we mail you.
If you are in the Armed Forces and are returning from active military duty, you may have more time to renew. Learn more.
What is the fee to renew?
The fee is on your renewal notice, and displayed on your computer screen when you renew online.
Call us Monday-Friday 8:00AM-4:30PM (except holidays).
For General Assistance (DMV Call Centers): 1-518-486-9786.
Telecommunications Device for the Deaf (TDD): 711 or 1-800-662-1220 (have the relay operator dial 1-518-486-9786).
See a full list of DMV phone numbers and office hours.
Department of Motor Vehicles 6 Empire State Plaza Albany, NY 12228
Was this article helpful to you?
We need your feedback to improve NY.gov.