Can I renew?
- You can renew your license up to one year before it expires or 2 years after
- Your address on file with the DMV must be up to date.
- To renew your license, you’ll need proof that you passed an eye test. (You may take a vision test at a DMV office or your vision test results may be submitted to DMV from a DMV vision test location or by submitting a Vision Test Report (pdf) from a qualified medical professional.)
- You can renew your license or non-driver ID online. If you have a Commercial Driver License (CDL), you will need to renew at a DMV Office.
You can’t renew:
- A learner permit
- A license that is suspended or revoked
- A license or non-driver ID card that expired for more than 2 years
The fee is on your renewal notice, and displayed on your computer screen when you renew online.
The fee to renew a license varies depending on your age, the type of license and where you live. You can also check the driver license renewal fee chart.
The fee to renew non-driver ID is between varies as well. You can check the non-driver ID card renewal fee chart.
Renew your driver license or non-driver ID now.
What you need ready:
- Your driver license or ID card
- The last 4 digits of your Social Security number
- Vision test results submitted online by a vision test provider or a completed MV-619 (needed for license only)
- A credit card or pinless debit card
Call us Monday-Friday 8:00AM-4:30PM (except holidays).
For General Assistance (DMV Call Centers): 1-518-486-9786.
Telecommunications Device for the Deaf (TDD): 711 or 1-800-662-1220 (have the relay operator dial 1-518-486-9786).
See a list of DMV phone numbers and office hours.
Department of Motor Vehicles 6 Empire State Plaza Albany, NY 12228