Exercise your right as an American citizen — register to vote. You can also use this online service to join a political party, change your party designation, or update your name and address on file with the Board of Elections.
To register to vote you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen;
- Be 18 years old by the end of this year;
- Not be in prison or on parole for a felony conviction; and
- Not claim the right to vote elsewhere.
To register online, you will need:
- NYS driver license, permit, or non-driver ID card
- ZIP Code currently on record with the DMV
- Social security number
Don't have a DMV issued photo ID? Fill out this form and attach a copy of an alternative form of ID before mailing in or dropping off to your County Board of Elections.
Completed applications are sent to local County or City Board of Elections for approval and processing which can take up to six weeks. The DMV does not approve or deny voter registration applications. Contact your County Board of Elections if you haven't gotten a response within six weeks.
Use this online service to:
Complete an application to register to vote
Update the information you have on file with the Board of Elections
To register you must:
Be a US Citizen
Be 18 years old by the end of this year
Not be in prison or on parole for a felony conviction
Not claim the right to vote elsewhere
Refer to this step-by-step process to register to vote online:
- Visit the voter registration page on the DMV’s website;
- Enter and submit the required information;
- Reminder: You will need your ID number and document number found on your DMV issued photo ID
- Keep the confirmation email for your records.
Call us Monday-Friday 8:00AM-4:00PM (except holidays).
For General Assistance (DMV Call Centers): 1-518-486-9786.
Telecommunications Device for the Deaf (TDD): 711 or 1-800-662-1220 (have the relay operator dial 1-518-486-9786).
Department of Motor Vehicles 6 Empire State Plaza Albany, NY 12228
Was this article helpful to you?
We need your feedback to improve NY.gov.