Who is eligible to obtain a birth certificate copy?
- The person named on the birth certificate
- A parent of the person named on the birth certificate whose name appears on the birth certificate
- A spouse, child or other person who has an order from a New York State Court to obtain a copy of a birth certificate
*For births in the five boroughs of New York City, contact the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.
Download the mail-in application to obtain a copy of a birth certificate.
Refer to this step by step process to order a birth certificate:
- Gather the necessary identifying information (See list below)
- Complete the application online, by telephone or by mail
- Pay the required fees with credit card (internet only), check drawn from a U.S. bank or with a money order - DO NOT send cash.
- Submit the application
Ready? Have with you:
Applications must be submitted with either:
- A driver’s license
- A state-issued non-driver photo ID card
- U.S. military-issued photo ID
Or applications may be submitted with TWO of the following:
- Utility or telephone bills
- Letter from a government agency dated within the last six months
What if I’m making a request from a foreign country?
If the country you are in requires a U.S. Passport for travel, you must also provide a copy of your passport with your application along with the other identification documents.
|ORDER TYPE||FEES (per copy)|
|Online or Phone Orders||$45 + $8 vendor processing fee per transaction (not per copy)|
Ready to Apply?
Call VitalChek Toll Free at 1-877-854-4481
The Service is Available in English and Spanish
Call 24 hours a day, seven days a week
Send requests for regular handling to the following address:
New York State Department of Health
Vital Records Certification Unit
P.O. Box 2602
Albany, NY 12220-2602
Call us Monday-Friday 8:30AM-5:00PM
Contact us by phone:
Contact us by email:[email protected]
Contact us by mail:
Bureau of Vital Records
PO Box 2602
Albany, New York 12220-2602