New York State Government provides rewarding career opportunities for individuals with a broad range of backgrounds. To join the state workforce, you will most likely have to take a civil service exam before applying for the position you're interested in. Applying for the specific position comes after you sign up, take and receive your exam results - a process that takes at least 90 days.
Most state jobs are divided into two categories – competitive and non-competitive.
Competitive Jobs (Exam Required):
You must take and pass a civil service exam before applying for a competitive job.
Non-Competitive Jobs (No Exam Required):
You do not need to take an exam, but you must meet the qualifications of the position. These positions are generally filled by people with professional licenses, trade skills, or other specific qualifications.
Most state jobs are competitive and require an exam. The New York State Department of Civil Service oversees all state exams.
Continuous Recruitment Exams
Continuous recruitment exams are held for positions where there is a constant need to hire qualified candidates. Applications are accepted continuously.
Get notified when a new exam is posted by signing up for our email alert system.
Learn more about the exam process.
Refer to this step-by-step process to sign up for a state exam:
- Login or create a Civil Service Account.
- Select the 'Job Seekers' tab at the top of the page.
- Choose 'State Examinations.'
- Select the third option 'Open to all Qualified Individuals.'
- Click on an Exam Title and read through the specifics of the exam to see if you meet the qualifications.
- When you're ready to sign up, click the blue 'How to Apply' button at the top OR scroll to the middle of the page and click the 'Apply Now' button.
- You will receive a notice in the mail letting you know if you were approved to compete in the exam. If approved, the notice will inform you where and when you will take your exam.
1. You will receive a notice in the mail letting you know if you were approved to take the exam. If approved, the notice will also inform you of where and when to take the exam.
2. Your exam results will be mailed to you approximately 90 days after you sit for the exam.
3. Based on your exam score and other qualifications, you may be contacted by a state agency that is hiring.
4. If you are contacted by a state agency, they will instruct you on how to apply for the position.
5. If you are not contacted within 90 days, you may not have qualified for the position. However, you will remain eligible for other qualifying jobs and can be contacted for up to four years after taking the exam.
If you've already taken and passed a state exam, you can wait to be contacted by a state agency or you can be proactive in your job search and apply for open positions at StateJobsNY.
- Visit the State Jobs Website.
- Select For the General Public.
- Click Vacancies on the left side of the page.
- Select a job title and read through the job specifics.
- If you qualify, follow the instructions on how to apply.
You can also search job openings by agency.
Was this article helpful to you?
We need your feedback to improve NY.gov.