Find Employment Opportunities for Veterans in State Government

TOP Find Employment Opportunities for Veterans in State Government

It is a priority for New York State to provide employment opportunities in State government for qualified veterans. Specialized employment programs focus on temporary and permanent employment.  Temporary jobs provide valuable experience that veterans can use to improve their employment opportunities both inside and outside state government.  Veterans may also be afforded certain rights for civil service exams, including the addition of veterans credits to passing exam scores.


Are there temporary jobs available for veterans?

Yes, there are numerous temporary employment opportunities available.  Learn more about the hiring program for temporary employment for veterans. Qualified veterans may submit information for agency consideration.


What types of temporary jobs are available?

Temporary jobs are available in a variety of areas such as customer service, maintenance and operations, and parks and recreation.


Are there permanent jobs for veterans with disabilities?

Yes.  An application and certification for the Veterans with Disabilities program is required.


Can I have additional points added to a civil service exam if I’m a veteran?

If you pass an exam, you may be eligible for extra credits.  These credits can be used only once for any permanent employment in New York State. Learn more about how to apply for extra credits on a state exam.


What happens if I’m currently serving in the Armed Forces during a civil service exam?

The Military Law provides certain rights pertaining to civil service exams. You may be able take a military make-up exam.


To be eligible for the Veterans Temporary Hiring Program, you must:

  • Have served on active duty in the Armed Forces
  • Be honorably discharged after September 11, 2001


To be eligible for the Governor’s program to Hire Veterans with Disabilities (55-c Program), you must:

  • Have served during a time of war
  • Any Veteran who has received the Purple Heart medal or who has a disability rating assigned by the U.S. VA of at least 10 percent is automatically eligible. A letter of certification of a service-connected disability rating of 10% or higher from the U.S. Veterans Administration (U.S. VA) will be requested.”
How To
How To

To submit information for temporary employment opportunities, follow this step by step process at:

  1. Create or login to your Civil Service account. If you do not have an account, you can create one on the Department of Civil Service website.
  2. Check the attestation box that you meet the eligibility requirements
  3. Fill out the required information (steps 1-4) on the portal
  4. Upload your resume and Department of Defense form -214 
  5. Apply for temporary jobs on (agencies may also contact you based on your submission)


To apply for the Governor’s Program to Hire Veterans with Disabilities:

  1. Complete and mail in the paper eligibility application
  2. Program staff will contact you for additional information, if necessary OR
  3. Approved applicants will receive an eligibility letter in the mail
  4. Go to to upload your information
  5. Create or login to your Civil Service account
  6. Fill out required information (steps 1-3) on the portal
  7. Upload your resume and transcript (optional)
  8. Apply for entry level jobs on (agencies may also contact you based on your submission)


To apply for competitive examinations leading to permanent employment, follow this step by step process:

  1. Search for an exam
  2. Apply to take the exam
  3. Take the exam
  4. You will be notified - usually by postal mail - of how you scored on the exam


Ready? Have with you

  • Resume or work history
  • Copies of diplomas
  • Transcripts
  • Licenses
  • Department of Defense Form – 214 (DD 214)

Search for upcoming exams:



View competitive and non-competitive job openings:



Search for a job by agency:



Call us Monday-Friday 8:30AM– 5:00PM