Workers’ compensation is a no-fault system that provides wage replacement benefits and lifetime medical care for work-related injuries and illnesses. All for-profit employers and most not-for-profit employers must carry workers’ compensation insurance to cover all their employees.
What does workers’ compensation insurance cover?
- All health care related to your injury
- Cash benefits of two-thirds your average weekly wage, up to a maximum
- Travel expenses to and from health care appointments
Are there any fees?
Your employer may not charge its employees for insurance. There are no copayments for medical care, either. If you use an attorney, that attorney is compensated from your replacement wage awards. You do not have to pay your attorney directly or pay a retainer in an accepted claim.
Who is eligible?
- All employees in a for-profit business
- Employees of most not-for-profit employers
- Employees working in New York state are covered
- There is no residency requirement
What do I do if I’m injured at work?
- Seek treatment immediately
- Notify your supervisor about the injury and how it occurred as soon as you can
- File a C-3 form with the Workers’ Compensation Board - online filing is the quickest
Refer to this step by step process to file your claim.
File a C-3 employee claim form online, complete as many fields with as much detail as you can and submit. No other documents are necessary to file a C-3 and you don’t need to establish an account with the Workers’ Compensation Board.
- Gather all necessary information
- Complete as many fields with as much detail as you can
Ready? Have with you:
- Your contact information
- Basic employment information such as employer name and address, your job title and duties, and your gross pay rate
- How the injury happened, where you were and what you were doing when it occurred (with as much detail as possible), and if you reported it to your employer
- The nature of the injury/illness, the parts of the body affected, whether you received treatment and if you lost time from work
Call: 866-396-8314. A Board representative will take your information and complete the C-3 form.
Submit a paper C-3 form. You can get a paper form from your employer or from the NYS Workers’ Compensation Board.
Contact us by phone Monday, Thursday, Friday 8:30AM-4:30 PM and Tuesday, Wednesday 8:30AM- 6:00PM
Visit a District Office near you: www.wcb.ny.gov/content/main/DistrictOffices/MainPage.jsp