The Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) helps eligible New York State residents pay tuition at approved schools in New York State. TAP is one of the grants, scholarships and awards programs administered by the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC). See if your school is approved for TAP.
An annual TAP award can be up to $5,665. TAP is a grant – it doesn’t have to be paid back. New York State students attending college in New York State – including high school seniors who plan to attend college the following fall – should apply for TAP.
TAP is available for eligible college students studying full- or part-time. Part-time TAP is available to part-time students who are taking 1-11 credits while enrolled at eligible non-degree workforce credential programs at participating SUNY and CUNY schools.
To be eligible for TAP, you must:
- Be a United States citizen or eligible noncitizen and a resident of New York State. Students who do not meet residency requirements may be eligible for TAP through the NYS DREAM Act
- Have graduated from high school in the United States, or earned a high school equivalency diploma
- Study full-time undergraduate (at least 12 credits per semester) at an approved postsecondary institution in New York, be matriculated in an approved program of study and be in good academic standing with at least a cumulative "C" average as of the 4th semester payment
- Be charged at least $200 tuition per year
- Not be in default on any state or federal student loans and not be in default on any repayment of State awards
- Meet income requirements:
- $80,000 for dependent undergraduate students or independent students who are married and have tax dependents, or independent students who are unmarried and have tax dependents
- $40,000 for married independent undergraduate students who have no other tax dependents
- $10,000 for unmarried independent undergraduate students with no tax dependents
There are two ways to apply for TAP
- If you are a NYS Resident refer to this Step-by-Step Process to apply for TAP:
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Click link that says, “Apply for TAP”. If you missed the link on the FAFSA you will receive information from HESC about how to apply.
- Once you are on the HESC website, create a HESC-specific user name and personal identification number called a HescPIN.
- You will use your HescPIN to "sign" your TAP application and access your HESC account information in the future.
- After you apply, check your TAP status by logging into your HESC account.
- If do not meet residency requirements you may be eligible to apply for TAP through the NYS DREAM Act:
Students applying for NYS financial aid under the provisions of the DREAM Act must first apply for eligibility under the NYS DREAM Act before applying for TAP. If you have previously qualified under the NYS DREAM Act, you will simply need to add a new application to apply for TAP.
For assistance, use this scheduling form to make an appointment with a HESC representative when it's convenient for you.
You may also browse upcoming HESC events to learn more about TAP and the other NYS financial aid programs available, get advice about accessing and financing a college education, or assistance completing your financial aid applications.