Want to continue your pregnancy to parent or for adoption? Get into prenatal care as soon as possible to make sure you and your pregnancy are healthy. Prenatal care providers will monitor your health and the development of your pregnancy, including screening for conditions that might impact your pregnancy or health. Prenatal care is available through your insurance or through expanded Medicaid coverage. If you don’t have a prenatal provider you can go to NYS Family Planning Program provider, ask your insurance company, or call the Growing Up Healthy Hotline at 1-800-522-5006 for more information.
Are you ready to be a parent? New York State has services to support you and your growing family. Call the Growing Up Healthy Hotline at 1-800-522-5006 for more information and services that may be available to you. You might qualify for:
- Maternal infant home visitors are available to give you support during and after your pregnancy.
- The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women Infants and Children (WIC) will provide you and your baby access to healthy food, breastfeeding support and nutrition counseling.
- Health insurance through the New York State of Health.
- Quality, affordable child care options available through The Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS).
If you are considering adoption, you can talk to your NYS Family Planning Program provider, prenatal care provider or the Office of Children and Family Services.
You can end a pregnancy with a safe and legal abortion in New York. Talk to a quality family planning provider about the best option for you. This can include:
- In-clinic abortions: These are safe, outpatient procedures, meaning that you don’t have to stay overnight, that are performed by a licensed health care provider.
- Medication abortions: If you are less than 10 weeks pregnant, a medication abortion may be an option for you. This means a health care provider gives you medicine at an office visit and then allows you to go home with more medicine to end the pregnancy.
Insurance, including Medicaid, covers abortion services so that cost is not a barrier. If you don’t have a health care provider, you can talk to a NYS Family Planning Program provider near you.
You are entitled to get your health care information and services from quality health care providers. Make sure your provider is offering high quality services.