Service & Repair Mechanic (Motor Equipment) positions exist in the Department of Transportation in various locations throughout New York State. DOT has continuous openings statewide with a special need in Monroe County and the downstate area (find more information about Department of Transportation Regions).
As a Service & Repair Mechanic (Motor Equipment), you would diagnose and correct the causes of faulty vehicle and equipment operation. You would overhaul, adjust and repair gaseous fuel engines, clutches, transmissions and differentials; ignition, wiring, lighting, fuel, cooling, braking and complex hydraulic systems; steering, wheel and suspension mechanisms; and body, cab and frame components. You would also conduct NYS inspections.
You may be assigned to:
- Overhaul compressors, pumps (fuel, water, air and hydraulic), spreaders, small engines, mowers and a variety of other equipment, including but not limited to track vehicles, loaders (front-end and belt), platform lifts, hydraulic excavators, etc.
- Diagnose and repair electronic engine control systems, anti-lock brake systems, and air conditioning.
You may also be required to:
- Perform welding, cutting and repair.
- Make road calls, test drive equipment, complete reports, use parts catalogs, and perform other related duties.
Data entry into the Department’s Equipment Management software is required.
On or before the date of filing an application, you must have:
- Four years of experience as an automotive or diesel mechanic responsible for the diagnosis of faulty vehicle and/or equipment operation and the performance of mechanical repairs covering several aspects of automotive and/or diesel systems. On your application you must specify types of repair work performed and the kinds of vehicles on which you performed this work.
- An Associate degree in automotive or diesel repair technology.
Education as detailed below may be substituted for a maximum of two years of experience:
- Graduation from a technical or vocational program, such as a B.O.C.E.S, in automotive or diesel technology or automotive or diesel repair technology may be substituted for one year of experience.
- Graduation from a one-year post high school certificate program in automotive or diesel repair technology may be substituted for up to two years of experience.
Cannabis use is not permitted for employees in this title and assignment. Cannabis use will be tested for during the pre-employment screening process and may be the basis for disqualification for employment or may be a basis for removal from employment.
Applications are accepted continuously for the above listed positions, and appointments are made throughout the year. To apply, complete an Application for employment and submit it to the NYSDOT Personnel Bureau either via email or postal mail.
NYSDOT Service & Repair Mechanic (Motor Equipment) hiring rates differs by county. See the hiring rates chart for the corresponding starting salary.
*Appointees in the New York City area (Bronx, Nassau, New York, Queens, Richmond [Staten Island], Rockland, Suffolk and Westchester counties) will receive an additional $3,026 annual location pay differential.
*Appointees in the Mid-Hudson area (Dutchess, Orange and Putnam counties) will receive an additional $1,513 location pay differential.
*Total compensation includes Geographical Pay Differentials
Phone: (518) 457-6460 or (877) DOT-JOB1