To qualify for the tax credit, your business must be certified by the NYS Department of Labor. For program year 2016 an application for certification must be received by the Department between January 1, 2016 and November 30, 2016.
The tax credit only applies to hiring employees ages 16 to 24 who are certified through the NYS Department of Labor to participate in the program. The Department of Labor will refer certified youth to your business or assist you in getting youth certified who are appropriate candidates for your business. For program year 2016 youth must start work between January 1, 2016 and December 31, 2016.
Your business may earn tax credits equal to the following amounts. If the amount of the credit exceeds your tax liability, you may receive the excess as a refund.
- If the youth is hired for a full-time position (35 hours or more per week), the maximum tax credit is $5,000. This is payable as follows:
- $500 per month, for a maximum of six months ($3,000 maximum);
- $1,000 if the youth is retained for six months beyond the first six months of employment (employed one full year) and
- $1,000 if the youth is retained for a second full year of employment.
- If the youth is hired for a part-time position (20-34 hours per week or 10-34 if age is 16-19 and enrolled in school full time), the maximum tax credit is $2,500. This is payable as follows:
- $250 per month, for a maximum of six months ($1,500 maximum);
- $500 if the youth is retained for six months beyond the first six months of employment (employed one full year) and
- $500 if the youth is retained for a second full year of employment.
To be eligible for certification, your business must be:
- In good standing
- Located in New York State
Apply for Certification
Apply for Certification
It's quick and easy to apply for certification. All applications must be received by the NYS Department of Labor between January 1, 2016 and November 30, 2016. You can choose to receive written notice of your business certification via e-mail or the U.S. Postal Service.
If you need more information, please contact the New York State Department of Labor at [email protected] or by phone at 877-226-5724.
Businesses certified for the Urban Youth Jobs Program or the New York Youth Works Program in previous program years may re-certify by simply updating their contact information and attesting to the Terms of Service Agreement by filling out and submitting the business application.
Learn more about how to Place a Job Order