The Empire Star Public Service Award recognizes current employees in the New York State government workforce for their exemplary contributions to public service and their continued efforts to enhance the quality of life for all New Yorkers.
Recipients of this award will have distinguished themselves from their peers through meaningful contributions to State government, demonstrating their dedication to serve New Yorkers with the highest level of performance, integrity, and pride.
To be eligible for consideration of an Empire Star Public Service Award, applicants must be a current New York State employee serving in the Executive Branch. All nominees interested in applying for the award will receive an Empire Star Public Service application to be submitted for final consideration of the award.
All applications will be reviewed for program eligibility and evaluated for performance and excellence. Final selection will be made collectively by an Awards Selection Committee comprised by a panel of leaders in State government. The review process may include interviews with agency personnel to obtain additional information in support of the application.
If you are a New York State employee, contact the Human Resources office at your agency for nomination information.
Members of the Awards Selection Committee include:
- Lola W. Brabham, Acting Commissioner, Department of Civil Service
- Michael N. Volforte, Director of the Governor's Office of Employee Relations
- Rossana Rosado, Secretary of State
- James McDonough, Jr., Director of the Division of Veterans' Services
- Erik Kulleseid, Commissioner of the Office for Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation
- Dr. Theodore Kastner, Commissioner, Office for People with Developmental Disabilities
Recipients of the Empire Star Public Service Award are publicly recognized and receive a $5,000 professional development award. The award can be used for continued learning and professional endeavors, including:
- Advanced training via classroom or online courses
- College or community college classes that will benefit them in their current public employment
- Training materials and/or equipment to support additional professional development
Who is eligible for an Empire Star Public Service Award?
- To be eligible for consideration of an Empire Star Public Service Award, nominees must be a New York State employee currently serving in the Executive Branch. Commissioners, Executive Directors, Executive Deputies, and Executive Chamber Staff are not eligible for consideration.
Are there any education or professional requirements required to be eligible for the award?
- There are no educational or professional requirements regarding years of experience or level of education.
- As the highest recognition in State government, awardees have distinguished themselves from their peers through commitment to building a better New York and their dedication to serving New Yorkers with a high level of performance, integrity, and pride.
How will awardees ultimately be determined?
- Reviews of all applications will initially be conducted for program eligibility. Eligible applications will then be reviewed using clear guidelines to evaluate levels of performance and excellence. The review process may include interviews with agency personnel to obtain additional information in support of the nomination. Final selection will be made collectively by the Awards Selection Committee.
Are there stipulations for how the $5,000 professional development scholarship can be used?
- Yes. The award must be used for activities that will benefit the recipient in his or her career with New York State. These activities include:
o In-person or online courses, workshops and seminars
o Matriculation in college or community college classes
o Materials and equipment to support additional training
As a New York State employee, how do I nominate a fellow employee?
- New York State employees may be nominated by individuals serving in the executive branch. For information on the nomination process contact the Human Resources office at your agency.