Buy NY leverages existing centralized contracts regarding the purchase of State food products, including produce and dairy products. One of the initiative’s goals is to help state and local governments increase the purchase of local agriculture products in government-run institutions such as hospitals, colleges, prisons and other facilities.
Buy NY is a joint effort by the State Department of Agriculture & Markets, Department of Corrections and Community Supervision, Office of Mental Health, Department of Health, Office of General Services, Empire State Development and Cornell Cooperative Extension.
The benefits of Buy NY include:
- Creating business opportunities for upstate New York farmers and food processors
- Gaining a better understanding of where your food comes from
- Contributing to the local food movement
- Promoting healthy living initiatives
- Stimulating the local economies
If you'd like to get involved in the Buy NY program, begin by asking:
- What agriculture products do I currently buy?
- Where does it come from, i.e., New York?
- If not New York, can I substitute my current purchase for an item available from New York?
- What foods are grown and processed in New York?
- When is the particular food available in New York, i.e., seasonality?
- Where can I buy specific New York food products?
There are three easy ways to buy New York State specific agriculture products:
- If you want to learn about what is grown in New York, and when it is in season, or where to find a local farmer’s market go to FreshConnect.
- Find a nearby farm or search by specific product, go to Pride of NY.
- Find special events, tourism destinations and stores for New York products, go to Taste of NY.