To improve New York States response to and prevention of domestic violence with the goal of enhancing the safety of all New Yorkers in their intimate and family relationships.
Advice to the Governor and Legislature
OPDV advises the Governor and the Legislature on statewide domestic violence policy and legislation through:
- The creation of model policies
- Legislative proposals and review
- Participation in inter-agency committees
- Published reports
Training and Technical Assistance
OPDV offers training and technical assistance to professionals who interface with domestic violence in many areas, including police, child welfare, mental health, the workplace, and health care.
Public Education and Outreach
Educating the public about the nature and impact of domestic violence and New York State's efforts to combat the problem is a priority for OPDV. Our public education initiatives include:
- Public awareness campaigns
- OPDV and Teen Dating Violence websites
- Quarterly OPDV Bulletin
- Informational Guides on specific topics in the field
- Information about the NYS Domestic & Sexual Violence hotline, general information about domestic violence and links to resources.
- Publication of the victim handbook Finding Safety and Support
- Publication and dissemination of materials such as posters, brochures, palm cards and videos
- Technical assistance in the form of telephone contact, visits to communities, and review of policies and programs
- Participation in community forums, wellness fairs, seminars and conferences
- The Governor and Legislature
- Domestic violence victims and their families
- The general public
- The media
- Nonprofit organizations
- Government agencies
Was this article helpful to you?
We need your feedback so NY.gov can do better!