The New York State Insurance Fund (NYSIF) was established in 1914 as part of the original enactment of the New York Workers’ Compensation Law. NYSIF is a self-supporting insurance carrier that competes with private insurers in both the workers’ compensation and disability benefits markets in New York State.
- Achieve the best health outcomes for injured workers by paying indemnity and medical benefits in a timely manner, and facilitate appropriate medical care.
- Ensure that all New York businesses have a market for workers' compensation and disability benefits insurance available to them at a fair price.
- Maintain a solvent state insurance fund that is always available to New York businesses.
- Be a competitive force in the marketplace and an industry leader in price, quality, and service.
- NYSIF sells workers’ compensation insurance to qualified New York businesses, protecting employers from liability for on-the-job injury or illness resulting in employee disability or death.
- NYSIF provides workers’ compensation benefit payments, both indemnity and medical costs, for covered workers’ compensation claimants; in death cases, it provides survivor benefits to dependents.
- NYSIF sells disability benefits insurance to New York employers, covering employees disabled by an off-the-job illness/injury or disabilities arising from pregnancies.
- NYSIF provides temporary disability benefits payments to a worker disabled by an off-the-job illness/injury or a disability arising from pregnancy, for up to 26 weeks.
- Beginning in 2018, NYSIF will provide Paid Family Leave insurance to qualified New York businesses, which will provide New Yorkers job-protected, paid leave to bond with a new child, care for a loved one with a serious health condition or to help relieve family pressures when someone is called to active military service.
Who We Serve
Who We Serve
New York State businesses and their workers.