The New York State Insurance Fund (NYSIF) was established in 1914 as part of the original enactment of the New York Workers’ Compensation Law. NYSIF is a self-supporting insurance carrier that competes with private insurers in both the workers’ compensation and disability benefits markets in New York State.
- Achieve the best health outcomes for injured workers by paying indemnity and medical benefits in a timely manner, and facilitate appropriate medical care.
- Ensure that all New York businesses have a market for workers' compensation and disability benefits insurance available to them at a fair price.
- Maintain a solvent state insurance fund that is always available to New York businesses.
- Be a competitive force in the marketplace and an industry leader in price, quality, and service.
- NYSIF sells workers’ compensation insurance to qualified New York businesses, protecting employers from liability for on-the-job injury or illness resulting in employee disability or death.
- NYSIF provides workers’ compensation benefit payments, both indemnity and medical costs, for covered workers’ compensation claimants; in death cases, it provides survivor benefits to dependents.
- NYSIF sells disability benefits insurance to New York employers, covering employees disabled by an off-the-job illness/injury or disabilities arising from pregnancies.
- NYSIF provides temporary disability benefits payments to a worker disabled by an off-the-job illness/injury or a disability arising from pregnancy, for up to 26 weeks.
- Beginning in 2018, NYSIF will provide Paid Family Leave insurance to qualified New York businesses, which will provide New Yorkers job-protected, paid leave to bond with a new child, care for a loved one with a serious health condition or to help relieve family pressures when someone is called to active military service.
Was this article helpful to you?
We need your feedback so NY.gov can do better!