The New York State Education Department is part of the University of the State of New York (USNY), one of the most complete, interconnected systems of educational services in the United States. The Department oversees the work of more than 700 school districts with 3.2 million students; 7,000 libraries and 900 museums. Our mission is to raise the knowledge, skill, and opportunity of all the people in New York. Our vision is to provide leadership for a system that yields the best educated people in the world. In addition, New York's unique system of professional regulation, recognized as a model for public protection, has grown to encompass nearly 900,000 practitioners and over 30,000 professional practice business entities in more than 50 professions.
The State Education Department has the following main branches, each under the direction of the Commissioner of Education:
Office of P-12 Education (P-12)
The Office of P-12 Education oversees pre-K through 12th grade programs. The Office of P-12 Education has diverse responsibilities carried out by the following offices:
Office of Higher Education (OHE)
This division oversees colleges, universities and proprietary schools; is responsible for the certification of teachers and other school professionals; and oversees programs to improve teacher preparation and recruitment.
Office of Cultural Education (OCE)
OCE includes the State Archives, the State Library, the State Museum, Office of Public Broadcasting Office and the Summer School of the Arts. These institutions are responsible for increasing the knowledge and information resources of State and local government, businesses, and individuals. The Office supports research, operates programs, and develops collections that serve the long-term interests of the institutions and residents of New York and support arts education for high-school students.
Office of Performance Improvement and Management Services (PIMS)
PIMS includes the offices of Information Technology, Facilities and Business Services, State Review Office and External Audits.
Chief Financial Office (CFO)
CFO includes the offices of Human Resources, Fiscal Services, Budget Coordination, Education Finance, Internal Audit and Internal Controls.
Office of the Professions (OP)
Since 1891, the Board of Regents and the New York State Education Department have overseen the preparation, licensure, and practice of the professions. Currently, the Office regulates forty-eight professions defined in Title VIII of the Education Law.
Office of Adult Career and Continuing Education Services (ACCES)
The Office of Adult Career and Continuing Education Services (ACCES) focuses on the education and employment needs of New York State's adults: Vocational Rehabilitation (including Independent Living Administration), Adult Education, High School Equivalency (HSE/TASC™), and Career Schools.
Who We Serve
Who We Serve
NYSED serves, first and foremost, millions of New York State students, from prekindergarten through secondary and postsecondary education and the workforce and adult education. The University of the State of New York (USNY) is the most complete, interconnected system of educational services in the US, including:
- More than 7,000 public and private elementary and secondary schools;
- 248 public and private colleges and universities;
- 251 proprietary (for-profit) schools;
- Nearly 7,000 libraries including the New York State Library;
- 750 museums;
- The State Archives;
- Vocational rehabilitation and other services for adults with disabilities;
- Special education services for pre-school and school-age children and teenagers;
- A School for the Blind;
- A School for the Deaf;
- 25 public broadcasting facilities, including seven public television stations;
- More than 750,000 professionals practicing in 48 licensed professions, including, for example, pharmacy, architecture, accounting, and nursing; and
- 240,000 certified public school teachers, counselors, and administrators.
- Teacher Certification | (518) 474-3901
- Teacher Certification Online Contact Form
- TEACH Online System | (518) 486-6041
- Assessment | Email the Assessment Office(link sends e-mail)
- Curriculum and Instruction (C&I) | Email the Curriculum and Instruction Team(link sends e-mail)
- P-12 Education | Email the Office of P-12 Education(link sends e-mail) | (518) 474-3862
- Report Problem(s) Using the TEACH Online System
- Fingerprinting | Email the Fingerprinting Office(link sends e-mail) | (518) 473-2998
- Office of the Professions | Email the Office of the Professions(link sends e-mail) | (518) 474-3817
- HSE | Email the HSE Office(link sends e-mail) | (518) 474-5906
- TASC (formerly GED) | (518) 474-5906
- ACCES - VR | 1-800-222-JOBS (5627)
Contact us by phone:
Contact us by mail:
89 Washington Avenue
Albany, New York 12234