Abortion access is available to all New Yorkers and for those coming from outside of New York State.
In New York, you can get an abortion up to and including 24 weeks of pregnancy. After 24 weeks, you can still get an abortion if your health or pregnancy is at risk. See the Department of Health's letter to New York State Abortion providers for more information on abortions after 24 weeks.
There are expanded options for early abortions, including through medication. See a comparison of early abortion options.
Find an abortion provider near you:
- Abortion Finder: With more than 750 health centers, AbortionFinder.org features the most comprehensive directory of trusted (and verified) abortion service providers in the United States.
- I Need an Abortion: A simple, up-to-date, and localized source of information for people seeking abortions.
- Planned Parenthood: Find abortion clinics near you.
- National Abortion Federation or call its referral hotline at 877-257-0012.
- New York State's Family Planning Licensed Providers
Abortion services in New York must be completely confidential. Abortion providers and other healthcare professionals are not allowed to disclose any information to anyone other than you, without your permission. This includes your medical records, as well as any information about your appointment or procedure. Again, this applies to the other biological parent of the fetus, parents (where the patient is a minor), and anyone else who you have not identified as having your express permission to receive information about your abortion.
In New York State, health insurance, including Medicaid, may cover the cost of an abortion. Learn more about Medicaid Family Planning Services.
Enroll in a health insurance plan through the NY State of Health exchange. Abortions are a covered benefit in New York.
For New Yorkers who need help with payment, there are resources available that can help cover costs:
- Paying for Health Care: Health insurance options from New York State.
- New York Abortion Access Fund (NYAAF): If you live in or are traveling to New York State, you may be eligible for NYAAF funds. Call 212-252-4757 or email [email protected].
Out-of-State Residents: New York State coverage requirements for abortion services only apply to policies purchased in New York State. Travelers may not have abortion coverage if they or their employer bought a health insurance policy in a state that restricts abortions. Check your insurance policy to determine if you have coverage for abortion services and visit here for information on financial support.
For those traveling to New York for abortion access, there are organizations available to help pay for travel expenses: