About the Census
About the Census
The New York State Complete Count Commission was created to inform and help direct the State's efforts in the upcoming 2020 Census. The Commission is analyzing previous Census undercounts and recommending ways to ensure a full and complete count for the 2020 Census.
Nationwide, hard-to-count population includes children under five years of age, people who live in dense urban settings and in very rural locations, immigrants, people of color and people who live in poverty. New York state has a disproportionally large number of people who fit into these categories.
The Commission held public hearings and events to gain public input and develop a comprehensive action plan for state, local, and non-governmental organizations to ensure an accurate count for the 2020 Census.
- Co-Chair: Rossana Rosado, New York State Secretary of State
- Co-Chair: Jim Malatras, President, Rockefeller Institute of Government
- Steve Bellone, Suffolk County Executive
- Karim Camara, Executive Director and Deputy Commissioner, Governor's Office of Faith-Based Community Development
- Bitta Mostofi, Commissioner of the New York City Mayor's Office of Immigrant Affairs
- Roberta Reardon, Commissioner, New York State Department of Labor
- Joseph Salvo, Chief Demographic Officer, New York City Planning Department
- Lovely Warren, Mayor of the City of Rochester
Speaker of the Assembly Appointments:
- Adam J. Bello, Monroe County Executive
- Jose Calderón, President of the Hispanic Federation
- Esmeralda Simmons, Founder & Executive Director, Center for Law & Social Justice at Medgar Evers College, CUNY
Minority Leader of the Assembly Appointment:
- Lauren Moore, Assistant Commissioner for Libraries and New York State Librarian
Temporary President of the Senate Appointments:
- Andrew A. Beveridge, Ph.D., President and CEO of Social Explorer & Professor of Sociology at Queens College and the Graduate School and University Center of the City University of New York
- Byron W. Brown, Mayor, City of Buffalo
- Héctor J. Figueroa, President of 32BJ Service Employees International Union
- Henry A. Garrido, Executive Director of District Council 37*
Minority Leader of the Senate Appointment:
*Commissioner Garrido was appointed to the Commission on October 1, 2019, replacing Commissioner Figueroa after his untimely passing.
The NYS Complete Count Commission held public hearings across the state to gain public input and hear from Census experts and advocates. More events may be added in the future.
March 4, 2019: WATCH: Rochester City Hall (Rochester)
March 11, 2019: WATCH: Hostos Community College (Bronx)
March 20, 2019: WATCH: SUNY Sullivan (Loch Sheldrake)
April 18, 2019: WATCH: Waterfront Elementary/PS 95 Auditorium (Buffalo)
April 26, 2019: WATCH: Utica State Office Building (Utica)
May 1, 2019: WATCH: Queens Borough Hall (Queens)
May 7, 2019: WATCH: Rockefeller Institute of Government (Albany)
May 22, 2019: WATCH: Adirondack Park Agency (Ray Brook)
July 25, 2019, 6 p.m.: WATCH: Westchester: New York Power Authority (123 Main St., White Plains, NY 10601)
July 31, 2019, 6 p.m.: WATCH: Brooklyn Borough Hall
October 8, 2019, 9 a.m.: WATCH: Rockefeller Institute of Government, Albany, NY