Why do I need to update my address with DMV?
New York State law requires that you to report a change of residence address on a driver license, permit, non-driver ID, or registration to the DMV within 10 days.
Changing your address with the DMV:
- Updates your DMV records
- Ensures you receive mail related to your registrations and driving privileges
- Does not require you to order new DMV documents displaying your new address
Before you update your address online, you must first sign up for a MyDMV account. You will need your:
- NYS driver license, permit, or non-driver ID card
- Social Security number
Refer to this step by step process to update your address:
- Create a MyDMV account. If you already have an account, skip to step 2.
- Sign in to MyDMV.
- Under “DMV Services,” click “Change My Address.”
- Enter the required information.
- Click the “Enter and Verify” button.
- Keep the confirmation email for your records.
Ready? Have with you:
Your complete new residence address and zip code.
Call us Monday-Friday 8:00AM-4:00PM (except holidays).
For General Assistance (DMV Call Centers): 1-518-486-9786.
Telecommunications Device for the Deaf (TDD): 711 or 1-800-662-1220 (have the relay operator dial 1-518-486-9786).
Department of Motor Vehicles 6 Empire State Plaza Albany, NY 12228
Was this article helpful to you?
We need your feedback to improve NY.gov.