Once you have a learner permit, you must pass a DMV road test to get your driver license.
Before you schedule your road test, you must:
- Obey the learner permit restrictions on where and when you may practice driving
If you have a junior learner permit (Class DJ or MJ), you must:
You must have:
- A valid NYS learner permit
- Completed a 5-hour pre-licensing course or a driver education course through a high school or college
- An original Pre-licensing course certificate (MV278) or Driver Education Completion certificate (MV-285) to give to the license examiner when you take your road test
If under age 18, you must wait at least six months from the date you received your learner permit to schedule your road test.
For information about the 5 hour Pre-Licensing Course, see the Pre-Licensing Course Instructor’s Manual (MV-277). Even though it’s geared for instructors, it contains useful information for everyone.
The application fee you paid when you obtained your learner permit includes two road tests.
If you do not pass your first two road tests, you must purchase two more road tests before you can schedule another one. The fee is $10.00 for two tests.
How to schedule a road test online:
- Gather the necessary documents
- Make sure you have at least one unused test
- Go to “Schedule Now”
- Enter the required information and click “log on”
- Keep the confirmation for your records or write down the information
Ready to schedule? You must have:
- An original Pre-licensing course certificate (MV-278) or Driver Education Completion certificate (MV-285)
- The Client ID Number from your learner permit
- Purchased additional road tests if you failed your first two
- The ZIP Code of the road test location where you want to take the road test
After you schedule your road test, be sure you know what you need to do on the day of your appointment.
Call us Monday-Friday 8:00AM-4:30PM (except holidays).
For General Assistance (DMV Call Centers): 1-518-486-9786.
Telecommunications Device for the Deaf (TDD): 711 or 1-800-662-1220 (have the relay operator dial 1-518-486-9786).
See a full list of DMV phone numbers and office hours.
Department of Motor Vehicles 6 Empire State Plaza Albany, NY 12228
Was this article helpful to you?
We need your feedback to improve NY.gov.