- If you become a resident of New York State, you must get a New York State driver license at a DMV office within 30 days.
- If you have a valid driver license that was issued in the U.S. or Canada, you can exchange it for a NYS driver license.
- If you have a driver license issued outside the U.S. or Canada, you must apply for a learner permit at a DMV office.
If you have a driver license that was issued in the U.S. or Canada, you can exchange it for a New York State driver license as long as it:
- has your photograph
- is valid or has expired within in the past 24 months
- shows the date it was issued and was issued at least 6 months before you apply for the New York State driver license
- is not suspended or revoked
- is not lost or stolen
- is not a hardship or an “employment only driver license”
- is not marked “non-renewable” or “non-transferable”
You also must also meet DMV’s vision requirements.
You must pay a $10 application fee and the original license fee. The original license fee is between $64.25 and $107.50, depending on your age, the type of license and where you live. If you would like an enhanced license, there is an additional $30 fee.
Residents of Bronx, Kings (Brooklyn) New York (Manhattan) Queens, Richmond (Staten Island), Dutchess, Nassau, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Suffolk and Westchester counties must pay an additional Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District (MCTD) fee. The fee is $1.00 for every six months the driver license will be in effect.
Ask DMV a question (we will respond within 5 business days) : http://www.dmv.ny.gov/contact-us/ask-dmv-question
Call us Monday-Friday 8:00AM-4:30PM (except holidays).
For General Assistance (DMV Call Centers): 1-518-486-9786.
Telecommunications Device for the Deaf (TDD): 711 or 1-800-662-1220 (have the relay operator dial 1-518-486-9786).
See a full list of DMV phone numbers and office hours.
Department of Motor Vehicles 6 Empire State Plaza Albany, NY 12228
Was this article helpful to you?
We need your feedback to improve NY.gov.