- If you become a resident of New York State, you must get a New York State driver license at a DMV office within 30 days.
- If you have a valid driver license that was issued in the U.S. or Canada, you can exchange it for a NYS driver license.
- If you have a driver license issued outside the U.S. or Canada, you must apply for a new license at a DMV office.
If you have a driver license that was issued in the U.S. or Canada, you can exchange it for a New York State driver license as long as it:
- has your photograph
- is valid or has expired within in the past 24 months
- shows the date it was issued and was issued at least 6 months before you apply for the New York State driver license
- is not suspended or revoked
- is not lost or stolen
You also must also meet DMV’s vision requirements.
You must pay a $10 application fee and the original license fee. The original license fee is between $64.25 and $107.50, depending on your age, the type of license and where you live.
Residents of Bronx, Kings (Brooklyn) New York (Manhattan) Queens, Richmond (Staten Island), Dutchess, Nassau, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Suffolk and Westchester counties must pay an additional Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District (MCTD) fee. The fee is $1.00 for every six months the driver license will be in effect.
You must go to a DMV office to exchange your driver license or apply for a new one.
Ready to exchange or apply? Have with you:
- proof of your identity and age
- your current driver license
- your Social Security Card (or proof that you are not eligible for a Social Security Card)
- a completed Application for Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (DMV form MV-44)
- payment for the fees (cash, check, money order or credit card)
Ask DMV a question (we will respond within 5 business days) : http://www.dmv.ny.gov/contact-us/ask-dmv-question
Call us Monday-Friday 8:00AM-4:00PM (except holidays).
For General Assistance (DMV Call Centers): 1-518-486-9786.
Telecommunications Device for the Deaf (TDD): 711 or 1-800-662-1220 (have the relay operator dial 1-518-486-9786).
Department of Motor Vehicles 6 Empire State Plaza Albany, NY 12228
Was this article helpful to you?
We need your feedback to improve NY.gov.