You can shop for, compare and enroll in low-cost insurance coverage at NY State of Health. You can apply for financial assistance to help you pay for your coverage. You can also apply for and enroll in Medicaid or Child Health Plus.
Who can shop on the Marketplace?
- Live in New York
- Are U.S. citizens, nationals or lawfully present immigrants (Different immigration rules may apply if you are eligible for Child Health Plus or NYS Medicaid based on your income)
- Are not currently incarcerated.
- Small Businesses
When can I enroll?
- Children can enroll in coverage any time during the year.
- Adults who are eligible for Medicaid can enroll at any time during the year.
- Other individuals and families can enroll only during the annual Open Enrollment Period, unless they have a qualifying life event like a marriage, the birth of a child, or loss of employer health insurance (see complete list here). You must apply within 60 days of the qualifying event.
- American Indians/Alaskan Natives can enroll at any time during the year.
- The Small Business Marketplace is open for enrollment all year long.
Do I qualify for financial assistance?
When you apply, the Marketplace will determine your eligibility for financial assistance to help you pay for coverage.
Over 65, receiving SSI or in a nursing home?
Certain people including those over age 65, those in receipt of Supplemental Security Insurance (SSI) and residents of nursing homes may apply for Medicaid with their Local Department of Social Services.
- Consumer Materials in English
- Consumer Materials in Other Languages
- Estimate Your Eligibility for Tax Credits and Premiums
Refer to this step by step process to search and enroll online:
- Go online and create your account
- Complete the application
- Select your health plan
Ready? Have with you:
- Social Security numbers (or document numbers for legal immigrants who need health insurance)
- Birth dates
- Employer and income information for everyone in your family
- Policy numbers for any current health insurance
- Information about any health coverage available to your family
Call us Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM; Saturday, 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
NY State of Health New York State Department of Health Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza Albany, New York 12237
Was this article helpful to you?
We need your feedback to improve NY.gov.