Many New Yorkers can prepare and e-file their state tax income tax returns for free. See if you qualify to Free File your returns through brand-name software accessed directly from the Tax Department’s website.
When do I have to file?
You must file your 2016 New York State income tax return and pay any amounts you owe by April 18, 2017.
What if I can't file on time?
Free File your federal and state return using brand-name software
New York has joined the Free File Alliance to offer you more options to e-file your New York State income tax return at no cost.
The Free File Alliance is a nonprofit coalition of brand-name e-file software providers that help millions of Americans prepare and e-file their tax returns for free. If you qualify, participating providers offer Free File for both your federal and state income tax returns when you access them directly from the Tax Department’s website.
Will I be eligible for Free File?
If your income was $64,000 or less in 2016, yes! You don't need to wait until mid-January to get started; review the IRS guide and gather the documents and information you'll need to prepare your return.
What if I don't qualify for Free File?
If you don’t qualify for Free File, you may still enjoy the benefits of e-filing by purchasing approved e-file software.
List of E-File Providers
Free File has partnered with certain commercial e-file software providers who offer free preparation and e-filing services to eligible New Yorkers. Visit the Tax Department’s website at for a list of these free e-file providers.
Refer to this step by step process to file your tax return:
- Visit the Tax Department’s website and review your e-file software options.
- If you’re eligible for Free File, prepare your income tax return using the Free File software selected from the Tax Department’s website. If you’re not eligible, prepare your income tax return using the e-file software provider you selected from the Tax Department’s list of approved providers.
- Enter your banking information for direct deposit (refund) or electronic funds withdrawal (payment).
- E-file your income tax return through the e-file software.
- Print a copy of your return for your records.
- Wait 1-2 days to receive an email confirmation from your software provider that your return was accepted.
Monitor your bank account to confirm your payment was debited or refund was deposited. Be sure to sign up for email alerts, including when your refund is scheduled to be issued, from the Tax Department.
Ready? Have with you:
- Informational forms such as W-2, 1098, and 1099 forms.
- Social Security numbers for you, your spouse, and your dependents.
- Supporting documents related to any credits that you are claiming.
- Bank account and routing numbers (for direct deposit or electronic funds withdrawal).
- Copy of your completed federal return (if already filed).
Was this article helpful to you?
We need your feedback to improve NY.gov.